Friday, September 23, 2016

Okay so I promised some pictures of my western hognose set up today. Keep in mind, prepare your hognose about a week in advanced with as least stress as possible. For instance I keep my hognose in a dark enclosure. Not all the time but just for a week before I feed it.
As you can see it get pretty dark in its tank when covered.
Now since western hognose's have a basic diet of small amphibians. I usually scent mine with gecko or toad. You can get these sources usually online or from a local pet store. (I will add a link to an online source at the bottom). My Western hognose is very alert and active after being in the dark for awhile, and her territorial senses trigger when i open her tank. She will his and maybe even strike at the mouse when I put it in, which is a good sign. As long as she gets her mouth around it she will most likely eat.
As you can see she was very alert and intuitive right when I opened her tank.
So I did make her tank by myself with some wood and plexi glass so I will show you a picture of that below. Keep in mind im not saying this will work for any snake or any western hognose. This worked for me and I wouldnt be surprised if it worked for you. I struggled awhile before I finally found this technique. I was to the point where i was considering force feeding, but thankfully I found this technique. If you continue to have problems with a snake not eating and nothing you do works please see a vet or someone with experience! Especially before you try force feeding! You do not want to accidently harm your snake. Thanks for reading dont forget to check out that link below on some scented food supplies. Feel free to subscribe! 

http://www.backwaterreptiles.com/feeder-lizards-for-sale.html

Here is by self made tank every side is enclosed except for one, which is a glass slide out door.


No comments:

Post a Comment